Reily Township is a rural community of 2,746 residents in Butler County of Southwest Ohio. The township is home to several businesses across its 37 square miles, as well as a wealth of farms, forests, and streams, such as Indian Creek.
The township is led by three trustees and a fiscal officer who are committed to providing excellent services to Reily's residents and businesses. They partner with the community to make Reily a friendly, safe, and beautiful place to live.
Reily Township was founded on December 7, 1807 by Butler County Commissioners James Blackburn, Matthew Richardson, and James Smith. The town was named in honor of John Reily, a veteran of the Revolutionary War, who also helped to write the Constitution. John Reily eventually settled in the Northwest Territory of the United States, which later became known as the state of Ohio. Today, Reily Township is governed by the Ohio Revised Code, as it has been since 1953.
In its early years Reily Township included several blacksmiths, a doctor, an undertaker, a general store, a barber, a post office, a bank, livery stables, and a few saw and grist mills. In addition, there was an inn where travelers stayed as they transported hogs, horses, and livestock between Ohio and Indiana.
Reily Township today features many historical buildings and sites, including the original inn and cemeteries where veterans from the Revolutionary War and the Civil War are buried. For more information about Reily's history, please visit the Reily Township Historical Society website. The Reily Historical Society serves to educate and promote the appreciation of local history by collecting and preserving historical records and artifacts of Reily Township.
You can also visit the Reily Township Historical Museum at the Hammond House located at 6207 Main St. in Reily to learn more about Reily’s history and view some of the township’s historical artifacts. The museum is open the first Sunday of every month from 1-3 pm.